National Strawberry Parfait Day is celebrated annually on June 25. Today, enjoy one at your favorite restaurant or a homemade one that you made yourself with family and friends to celebrate!!!
This is the season for fresh strawberries, each you berries are picked and made into jams, jellies and frozen to enjoy all year long!
Facts about Strawberries that you may not know!
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- The ancient Romans believed that strawberries alleviated symptoms of melancholy, fainting, all inflammations, fevers, throat infections, kidney stones, bad breath, attacks of gout, and diseases of the blood, liver and spleen.
- To symbolize perfection and righteousness, medieval stone masons carved strawberry designs on altars and around the tops of pillars in churches and cathedrals.
- In parts of Bavaria, country folk still practice the annual rite each spring of tying small baskets of wild strawberries to the horns of their cattle as an offering to elves. They believe that the elves, are passionately fond of strawberries, will help to produce healthy calves and an abundance of milk in return!
Today, enjoy some fresh strawberries, make a sweet parfait ~ you can enjoy one with fresh cream, ice cream or make it a healthy parfait with yogurt and some granola for a sweet crunch! Enjoy!!!