Time honored tradition!
There are still a few drive-thru restaurants left today. Nothing beats an old fashioned drive up, order at a speaker and have food brought to you car! The days of roller skating car hops, music outside and the thrill of an old fashioned malt may have been set aside for the current drive-thru of today but the memories still hold true for many!
A few traditional drive-thru’s are left in the area and one of them is close to my home! A&W was the perfect place to take my son for a time honored tradition where we pulled up to the menu board and speaker system and ordered some food! Imagine his surprise when they brought the food to us on a tray and we didn’t pull up to pay at the next window! We sat and enjoyed our snack at the spot we ordered in, finished and pushed the button for pick up! What a fun experience for us to enjoy together…
A little Drive-Thru history !!
- Did you know there are more than 211,000 fast food restaurants in the United States?
- The drive-thru format was pioneered in the United States in the 1930′
- Hamburgers sold for just 18 cents at some of the first drive-thru restaurants.
- Jack in the Box was the first drive-thru Burger Chain.
- Today it is not just restaurants that have drive-thru’s, there are banks, pharmacy’s, liquor stores, post offices, coffee shops, dry cleaners and even wedding chapels.
Enjoy National Drive-Thru Day in all the drive-thru’s that you utilize!